The Powerball® jackpot has grown to what could be the 10th largest top prize in its game history. The Powerball jackpot now stands at an estimated $470 million ($362.7 million cash value) for the Saturday, Jan. 9 drawing, after no ticket matched all five white balls and the red Powerball drawn Wednesday night.
This is the highest the Powerball jackpot has been since March 2019 when a $768.4 million jackpot was won in Wisconsin. The Powerball jackpot was last hit in New York in the September 16, 2020 drawing. Since then, there have been 32 drawings in a row without a Grand Prize winner. Saturday’s drawing will be the 33rd draw in the jackpot run.
There were a lot of big winners in the Wednesday night drawing, including two tickets that matched all five white balls to win $1 million. The $1 million-winning tickets were sold in Pennsylvania and Texas. In total, more than 1.9 million tickets won prizes ranging from $4 to $1 million in the Wednesday night drawing.
Since the jackpot was last hit, there have been more than 21.5 million winning tickets across all prize tiers, including 22 tickets that have won $1 million and 10 tickets that have won $2 million.
Top 10 Powerball Jackpots
1. $1.586 Billion - Jan. 13, 2016 - California, Florida, Tennessee
2. $768.4 Million - March 27, 2019 - Wisconsin
3. $758.7 Million - Aug. 23, 2017 - Massachusetts
4. $687.8 Million - Oct. 27, 2018 - Iowa, New York
5. $590.5 Million - May 18, 2013 - Florida
6. $587.5 Million - Nov. 28, 2012 - Arizona, Missouri
7. $564.1 Million - Feb. 11, 2015 - North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
8. $559.7 Million - Jan. 6, 2018 - New Hampshire
9. $487.0 Million - July 30, 2016 - New Hampshire
10. $470 Million (est.)
It’s America’s Game! Since its first drawing in 1992, POWERBALL® has inspired the country with a chance to become a millionaire, while raising $25 billion for good causes supported by lotteries. POWERBALL set a world record jackpot of $1.586 billion in January 2016. The record prize was shared by winners in California, Florida and Tennessee. POWERBALL tickets are $2 per play. Tickets are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are held every Wednesday and Saturday at 10:59 p.m. ET. More than half of all proceeds from the sale of a POWERBALL ticket remain in the jurisdiction where the ticket was sold